7/04/2013

Mercury is Extremely Toxic and Commonly Used in Dental Fillings… Protect Yourself

Mercury Free Dental Practice in Preston , Lancashire


In spite of the fact that mercury is one of the most toxic substances on earth, over 75% of dentists in UK are still using mercury amalgam restorations in teeth.

Amalgam fillings are made of four different metals: silver, copper, tin and mercury that binds them all together. They have been used for more than 150 years and it is in the past 15 to 20 years that the problems with mercury amalgams have come to light. Symptoms associated with mercury toxicity include fatigue, migraine, tremors, inability to concentrate, memory loss, mood swings, anxiety, immune suppression and autoimmune disorders, significant skin problems, seizures, and other neurological problems.

Dentists have been educated to believe that once mercury has been combined into the filling material, it remains "locked in" and can't leak out; nevertheless the fact is that there is absolutely no scientific research in existence to support this hypothesis. To the contrary, all clinical evidence indicates that silver amalgam containing approximately over 50% mercury is a source of extremely toxic elemental mercury adversely affecting the health of the human body.

Evidence now demonstrates that surface particles of the amalgam silver filling material are being chemically broken down and released into the oral cavity. These microscopic elements of mercury filling are acted upon by oral and intestinal bacteria to produce methyl mercury, an even more toxic form of mercury than elemental mercury with target areas being primarily the pituitary gland, thyroid gland, and the brain.

About 75 % of adults have dangerous "silver" fillings. There is approximately 1,000 mg of mercury in the typical "silver" filling. This is nearly one million times more mercury than what is present in contaminated sea food. Most people don't realize that the mercury amalgams slowly release mercury vapour. Every time you chew, mercury vapour is released and quickly finds its way into your bloodstream, where it causes oxidative processes in your tissues.

Recent studies of the effects of various toxic heavy metals on your brain – including aluminium, lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury – reveal that mercury is by far the MOST toxic. No others even come close! This is because of mercury's interaction with sulphur-containing proteins that are critical to your brain function.

Many scientists believe Alzheimer's impairs communication and coordination between cells. You have 100 billion nerve cells, or neurons, in your brain, and these neurons make up an complex communication network that requires a great deal of energy and waste removal. These processes require a large amount of fuel and oxygen. Mercury can seriously impair these important and complex neurological processes.


Sources of Mercury

There are many sources of mercury, including food, air, water, cosmetics, medications, and occupational exposure. However, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), the single greatest source of mercury is mercury amalgam fillings. Below is what World Health Organisation lists as the main contributors and the estimated daily amount of mercury taken into the body.
Source of Mercury
Daily Intake (mcg)
Amalgam Filling
Fish
Other Foods
Water
Air
3.8—21
3.0
3.6
0.05
0.04

I believe that the key to taking charge of and responsibility for your health is to access the information needed to make informed and intelligent decisions. If you don’t have that information you can’t make those choices and you will continue to be a victim. If your goal is to improve your health and well-being you cannot afford to overlook the effects of mercury poisoning on your health.

Neutralizing Mercury with Nutrition

I would like to highlight the significance of superior nutrition for good health, but especially under toxic conditions such as chronic mercury exposure from silver fillings and other toxic dental materials. What can you do while you still have silver-mercury fillings in your mouth? 

The silver filling removal process may take weeks, months or even years for some people due to financial problems, physical debilitation, or other factors. While you are waiting to start the removal, or if you are in the middle of removal, nutrition is a powerful mercury adversary.

If you have mercury fillings and are worried about mercury poisoning, what should you do? The first thing you have to recognize is that you have a medical problem. You may carry a traditional diagnosis for your health problem(s) but the diagnosis may have a strong non-traditional link to the mercury in your mouth.
In conclusion, if you have unexplained symptoms which are affecting your health, you may find it worthwhile to consider being checked for mercury sensitivity.

You will need a holistic dentist to remove your fillings, but first, you need a medical evaluation to see how much mercury is stored in your tissues, and how much toxicity you’re suffering. You will need to know how well your kidneys are functioning before any treatments or mercury removal may safely take place.”